Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back Again


Hi everyone! It’s been a while, but I’m back and ready to tell you about some more of my travels.
I visited Athens Academy not too long ago to see what their library was like. The library is not so much a unit to itself as it is just a wall of books that was in a hallway of what is the visitor center.

The sections are labeled according to topic, many of which are in Greek only. When you click on the bookcase you are given an object that you can drag onto yourself. When you do a window opens showing you pages of the book whose layouts are reminiscent of PowerPoint presentations. I think it’s a great form of presentation for small books such as these.

The topics focus mainly on the sim itself and Greek culture, but nothing too extensive. Unfortunately there’s maybe only one book in English but it’s a great little source for Greek speaking users. The two or three times I have been to Athens Academy I have seen no one, so I assume that even the sim is used fairly infrequently.
The second place I visited since my last post was the Kannonji visitor center and library which is also a Zen retreat. The visitor center and the sim itself are really well done. The center is devoted to providing information about the people who run the sim and their particular sect of Buddhism, including pictures and links to their website. I traveled up to the library first just to see what it was like. The main bookcase was nothing more than that. If you click on it, the only options are to move the ladder. Pretty unexciting.

Weeeee
However, the wall to the right of that bookcase has topics you can click on to take you to their website where you can find more information. In this way it’s a library, but it would be nice to be able to click on the books for links instead.
The rest of the sim is actually quite active. Right next to the front desk is a room for meditation and services. The first time I visited there was a substantial group of people. Another part that I enjoyed was the cave that you could enter through the visitor center.

You can walk through it and kind of enjoy the setting of a cave temple. There are not objects in the cave but many places I assume you could sit and meditate.

That’s all for now!
Artemisia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home